Sunday, June 24, 2012

Engine assembled!

I completed reassembly of the bus engine today, after almost 9 years of disassembly. Still to do: reinstall fuel tank, transmission, CV joints and fuel system, carb, distributor... Then... who knows! Below is the assembled engine.



So the carburetor I have is a Solex 30PICT-2, but it has a funky attachment to the bottom, like a spout. I have no idea what it is and will have to post it to The Samba to try to figure it out. It looks like it might be some kind of vapor collector that receives a hose from something (the fuel pump?) and puts the vapors back into the gas getting spit into the intake by the carb. That's a guess, but it seems like the only logical thing. At this point, I would just as soon buy new stuff that I know will work and get this process moving rather than try to mess with an old part that very well may not function.



1 comment: